Thursday, April 19, 2012

Prague Hotels

Hi everyone,





Planning to go to Prague in December, checked for some hotels close to the centre of the town, after alot of searching came across Icon Hotel ( has very good reviews) charges 400 euro for 4 nights which is reasonable. But was also recommended to stay in Hotel Amarilis-Jerome on Stepanska street for half the price. The hotel looks good as well so dont really know if its more or less the same syle/quality or there is a big gap and its better to pay double and stay in Icon hotel





Anyone who can help out to make a decision?;-)





thanks alot




|||



They are two different animals. Icon is a cool and hip design hotel with a personal service, the latest equipment (skype, ipodplugs). I highly recommend this hotel. Amarilis is clos by, but just a normal standard hotel, for my liking it is more a 3 star or 3.5star hotel. It depends what you expect from a hotel - me personally I enjoy the service so I would go for the Icon.




|||



Hi Spanya,



My wife and I are staying in the Icon Hotel for Christmas let me know how you get on.



Cheers



Davie




|||



May I recommend Hotel Pachtuv Palace and then booked through www.yeego.com ? In December a Junior Suite (quite large), room only, is 102 Euro a night there.



Yeego is not cheap for all hotels (the Icon is 135 Euro there), but apparently for some hotels it is a great website.



I%26#39;ll recommend it now only in 2 threads,as otherwise I am going to get criticised again.



Pachtuv Palace is where Mozart also has lived and it is very close to the Charles Bridge, next to the famous Bellevue restaurant.




|||



So you%26#39;re backing a new horse dutch guy. On what basis are you making your recommendation?




|||



I doubt he could afford Bellevue - but maybe Vanderveldenton or their joint sister paid out of the honeymoon cash -




|||



It is a shame, because it looks like Pachtuv Palac needed this kind of advertising.




|||



I have stayed at Pachtuv Palace early this year, when they were installing airco in the junior suites which were then unavailable (I got a very goood price for a suite, direct with the hotel),a review of mine can be found here and I had dinner at the Bellevue.



My other email address has been deactivated (quite OK, my use of 2 names was not deliberate but more a matter of laziness and computer settings).



In retrospect I think Hotel Pachtuv Palace is the best hotel in Prague. The Sunday Times Travel magazine mentions it now as one of the 100 best hotels in the World and their only one in that list in Prague and I think they are right. Rooms are spacious, staff very friendly, wonderful location, palatial experience, unlike many other hotels.



Now that I found such good rates, I think it%26#39;s better than other hotels I recommended before.




|||



I would have to say that the Pachtuv Palace is a very nice hotel. I can only base my opinion on my customers%26#39; comments but everyone LOVES it. When the hotel magmt comes out and waves goodbye to the customer you have to be impressed.





I agree with Martina re the Icon. It is a tres cool hotel and people seem to like it. It does cater a bit to the eccentric though I must say...





Hotel Amarilis-Jerome is a hotel, is a hotel, is a hotel.





I would stay at the Amarilis-Jerome and spend the extra money on food and drink!




|||



I just saw that Pactuv is part of the MaMasion group as is the Riverside which, I think, was voted a number one hotel in Prague?





As an aside those of you dealing with hotels in Prague will note more and more hotels are joining together, ie, Best Western, MaMasion, Charming hotels, Darn Fine Place to Pass Out because there is strength (they hope) in numbers and boy o boy Prague does have numbers! 10.000 more hotel rooms in Prague than Vienna. I can not find the article but 5 or more new 4/5 star hotels will be built in Prague in the next 2-3 years and that is just too many. Hotel revenues were down some 36 % this summer alone thus many hotels are just staying afloat with abysmal occupancy levels. Some of the 4/5 star hotels are now lowering their rates to be more competitive with the 2/3 star hotels so IMO some hotels will be closing soon.





Bottom line the customer will win with super deals (but don%26#39;t use the minibar or make a call!).





NEXT INSTALLMENT - FINE DINING





Rattle Snake





200 g Rattle Snake with bone in Griddle



(Portion Dangerous Snake Grilled with melted butter. Serve up sauce rest mushrooms, onion and red wine)




|||



Hi everyone,





Many thanks for all your comments, eventually stayed at Icon Hotel-- did not regret it at all.





Very good location, nice rooms, clean, friendly staff and most important informal atmosphere -- feels like at home;-)





Did not expect to get all that just for 100 euro a night -- made a booking via www.booking.com







Suugest to everyone to give it a try when you plan your next trip to Prague

No comments:

Post a Comment