Saturday, April 21, 2012

last minute train ticket purchase

I plan to travel from Prague to Munich by train leaving about 9 a.m. on a Saturday morning.



My plan is to get there early and purchase the tickets that same morning before leaving.



Now I wonder whether this sounds like a good idea.. or should I buy the tickets ahead of time and not wait til the last minute?



Any opinions?



Regards



Martha




|||



Depending on how far in advance you buy your tickets they sometimes have special deals. You can check the to see if the Praha special is available on bahn.de website. (You usually have to purchase these months in advance to get a deal)





In October I traveled from Munich to Prague and back and bought my tickets the night prior at a station in Germany(The man at the statoin gave us the Praha special anyway probably cause he thought my cousin was cute... but he did not have to and most likely would not have done the same for me)





Total round trip we paid around $140 American which is a pretty good deal. If you are leaving at 9:00am from Prague, expect to get to Munich no earlier than 2:45 - 3:00pm. Hope I could help!




|||



I think it%26#39;s OK. There shouldn%26#39;t be many people waiting at the counters. In the worst case you can buy the ticket in train from the conductor with a supplementary charge.




|||



Sorry for the $140 figure, that also included a round trip from Munich to Gunzburg. I think the round trip cost from Prague to Munich for the Praha Special was 59 Euros, which is around $80 American.





If you don%26#39;t get a special expect paying around 120 Euros (I just looked one up for this Saturday) which is around $160 dollars. If you can get them early (a couple months) you might get the special deal. Good Luck




|||



BTW München Spezial tickets (only return only in direction Prague - Munchen - Prague, only 2nd class) cost 56 EUR per person and are valid for 1 month.





in Czech:



www.cd.cz/index.php?action=article%26id=24031





You can have some reductions (3%) when buying tickets in e-shop but I think it%26#39;s not worth the effort to register for buying a few tickets. https://eshop.cd.cz/Default.aspx?lang=E




|||



Thanks for the info. I was thinking I might not want to wait until the morning of to purchase tickets.



Martha




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 16, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment