Thursday, April 19, 2012

Prague and Where Else?

I have one week to spare this year for a Europe trip (sometime in March 2009). I wanted to go to Prague and another city. I%26#39;m thinking either Amsterdam, Vienna or Berlin. I%26#39;ve never been to any of these cities. Which of the choices are good for first time tourist, with plenty of things to do and see?




|||



Well, Amsterdam is a bit of a distance from Prague, but both Vienna and Berlin are easily reachable by train, taking 4.5 - 5 hours respectively.





If you want to get to Amsterdam by train, you would probably have to change in Berlin anyway, but it would be a 12-15 hour journey.





As for which one of Berlin and Vienna, IMO they cater for completely different sectors - what is it you are looking for from your trip? Personally I would go for Berlin, but that is just my preference. Thousands would disagree.




|||



We did a trip that included Prague and Budapest. We really enjoyed Budapest so I think it is definitely worth considering. We kept ourselves very busy there with plenty to see and do. It is a seven hour bus or train ride from Prague so a little farther than the others but I think the two cities make for a good combination with an Eastern European flavor.





I have done Berlin and Amsertdam in the past and both are well worth the trip but I think those could be combined as another trip in itself. As for Vienna I have not been but we were deciding between Vienna and Budapest after Prague and the company we worked suggested Budapest and I am glad they did.




|||



My favorite two cities are Prague and Amsterdam. Not a problem getting to Amsterdam. Very easy to buy an open-jaw ticket. They usually aren%26#39;t anymore money. Fly into Prague and out of Amsterdam, Berlin, etc. Use a regional plane to get from Prague to Amsterdam. www.skyscanner.net This site will give you regional carriers in Europe. Lots of them have cheap one-way flights between the two cities. Skyeurope has cheap flights between Adam and Prague.



Flying from Atlanta gives you lots of options.




|||



Prague is amazing. We have been to 9 European countries and Prague was one of the best places we visited.



For your other city I would recommend somewhere in Germany or Austria.



We traveled by car throughout Bavaria and loved it.



We went to Amsterdam too but it was very far from Prague.



Hope this helps.



Happy Travels.



Angela.




|||



Amsterdam is my favorite. Unique architecture, great museums, canals, and I like the food:





…blogspot.com/2007/11/amsterdam-netherlands.…




|||



Hands down ..Vienna..Amsterdam was a big dissapointment to me..Then again I%26#39;m not a teenager..Amsterdam was dirty and too much of the drug culture for my vacation




|||



Pilot,



We usually cover a large territory when we travel and when I first approached our upcoming trip to Prague in March I was of the same mind that you are : which city or cities to tack on with it. The usual suspects: Budapest and Vienna as these are commonly packaged / grouped together by travel agencies.





A friend suggested to drop Vienna and do Krakow instead (she said that was from a quick poll at her office of folks who%26#39;d done both).





However, in researching the Prague portion of the trip I realized that there is so much to see simply in the Czech Republic. In fact, I%26#39;m having a hard time trying to fit in even a fraction of what we want to see in a week%26#39;s time! So we will spend this vacation solely in CR... there is no time to do anywhere else.





But if you still want to split your week between two countries, then Amsterdam will give you a good connection, and do the open jaw as previous poster suggested.





After all, it isn%26#39;t like this is the only trip you will ever make. You%26#39;ll catch the other cities on another trip :)




|||



I%26#39;ve had several visitors mention that Salzburg rated higher on there list then Vienna. That might be a choice (independent of the Sound of Music fame). Hopefully, you will see more of Czech Rep than just Prague. Southern Moravia or Ceske Krumlov are some nice locations.




|||



My last trip to Czech Republic was 3 weeks..We never left the country..Moravia is beautiful..Rent a car and go to the real Czech Republic..The little towns..You could spend a month and never see all the castles ect




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, August 14, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment