Saturday, April 21, 2012

A thread about going to Prague!! :)

Hey all,





I just wanted to say thanks to all the posters who posted in the closed thread where the original poster expressed negative views about the price of beer (8 pound) and the dog poo. The comments and replies that followed were very useful until the thread sunk into petty comments. :) hehe. I have been to prague in 2001 and the only mistake I made was using a taxi I hailed fomr charles bridge which cost a fortune. Looking forward to going at the end of this month for 3 nights. thanks the forum I now know I should be looking at about 30k per beer. The exchange rate is great right now 1euro is 27k. Think I will use the ATM to get CZK when I am over there. I think it might work out better than using the Kiosk I used in the airport the last time. Plus I have pre-booked a taxi who take euro, so no need to change money before getting to an ATM in town. I had expected to pay minimum 50euro a day on food for 2 people, but after listening to some posters opinions and reviewing some menus online it seems 50 would be the upper end of the sacle, which is fantastic.



I%26#39;m greatly looking forward to the 2nd trip as I feel I am 100 times more prepared thanks to TA and my previous experience in Prague.



I am Irish so the smoking thing is interesting. I don%26#39;t mind it too much unless its right ontop of me, but the smell off clothes will be a new experience and not a pleasant one. It%26#39;s inevitable that all EU members will have to ban smoking in public places and have specific %26quot;outdoor%26quot; designated smoking areas. Yep, even in Italy and Czech this will eventually be passed. Im staying on Na Kampa (the island by charles bridge). There is a museum on here I believe which we might check out. Other things I plan to check are a walk up to the castle, charles bridge, a wlak to penin hill for some photos over the rooftops, a walk to old sqaure and associated streets. Is there anything or any place (restaurant or pub, or other) that someone thinks I should see? I%26#39;d like to get the most out of my 3 days here. :) Thanks all for taking the itme to offer hints and tips. This is waht makes TA indispensable in my opinion! :)





Neil




|||



Hello Neil,



I read that you plan to use an ATM in town but in case the need arises there are three ATMs, each from a different bank, just by the exit in the arrivals hall.



I visited the Kampa Museum this past Fall and I would highly recommend it for anyone who appreciates modern and contemporary art. I especially liked the permanent exhibit of the work of Frantisek Kupka.



A short walk from the museum is a nice little cafe that serves good hot drinks to warm you up. At the entrance to the museum, with your back to it, the cafe is about 200 metres to the left and has a small windmill outside.



Have a great trip!




|||



Hi Neil



You are not alone in hailing a cab at Charles Bidge, we did on our first visit to get to Old Town Square little did we know it was an approx 10 mins walk ended up with a 25 min taxi ride and a very expensive fare!You live and learn!



Hope you have another great time it will be interesting to hear if you think it has changed much since 2001.



TORII




|||



Hi Neil,



I meant to write that the cafe has a small water wheel outside, not a windmill, sorry.




|||



Hey driftOff, thanks for the tip about the ATM machines in the arrivals hall!! I will defo use that option now. Thanks... And also the tips about the museum and the cafe near our hotel, I%26#39;ll certainly check it out.



Hey Torii, yep I am most certainly looking forward to seeing if anything has changed. I%26#39;m hugely enthusiastic this time around so no doubt the experience will be different because of the confidence I feel navigating the town and the research I have done this time around on TA. Prague is even more popular today than it was in 2001 or 2002 although as its %26quot;off season%26quot; I would not expect it to be overly busy. I could not be happier with the hotel location because it means I can stay out after dark for drinks or food without having to worry about how to get home or how far away is the walk. We were miles away last time and walking from the bridge area to our hotel was not practical and probably not advisable late at night. Cannot remember the name of the hotel but it was somewhere down in praha 4. 2o or 30 mins walk. I%26#39;ll be sure to post a review of the hotel and the trip upon my return :) *excited*




|||



Hello Neil, I am just thinking of all the changes in Prague since 2001..





Well, the airport has a new terminal for Schengen countries, and you will probably arive at the new one,which is nice, there is a new link road from the airport, a couple of hotels, a new carpark. There are, as everywhere else, more cars on the road leading to bigger traffic jams, there are more and larger out of town supermarkets and shopping centres, i.e Cerny Most, Letnany....



no more smoking on the train....



Prices have gone up slightly but not so much for Euro countries as for Sterling in my opinion.





The centre has not changed that much but there seems to be more bars, restaurants and hotels, and everywhere you look there are people reading their tour guides. But Kampa is just as lovely as ever.





Cafe Slavia has reopened, a great place for people watching. Slavia have a brand new football stadium !





Are you thinking of going out of Prague for a day?




|||



Hey Penny!



Well we have just 3 nights and I htink I will stay mostly in Praha 1 region. I am using this website to help plan an itinerary http://www.prague.net/itineraries-in-prague It%26#39;s a great site and explains what each place of interest is. It should be ideal for a 3 night trip. The last time I was there in 2001 I had walked past things like the %26quot;wishing statue%26quot; on charles bridge, little things like this. I love going high up to take some pictures, so I will definitely go up Petrin hill (I know the observatory is closed though but still good views from the hill). I also wish to go up the old town hall tower. It%26#39;s now open to tourists and apparently offers comprehensive views over prague. :) sounds brilliant. I cannot wait to see Na Kampa. I remember looking down at it from charles bridge the last time and thinking how peaceful and picturesque the little area looked. :)




|||



Looks a pretty comprehensive itinery (you will get exhausted!) The dancing house on the embankment - the house next but one is owned by the former president Vaclav Havel.




|||



hehe.. I won%26#39;t do everything on the list of course. but it helps to plan out a few must see items... I%26#39;m sure I will be distracted by plenty of beers along the way. . .




|||



Neil,





Thanks the itinerary link! We will be there also by end of this month...





Counting...





- Mint -




|||



Mint - are you now all sorted?

No comments:

Post a Comment