Thursday, April 19, 2012

My Experience of Prague

Sorry I have taken a bit of time before posting this, but I have noticed that there has been a lot of negativity on this forum over last few days, so I thought I would share my experiences of Prague (mostly positive).





My boyfriend and I spent 4 nights in Prague from 26th to 30th December.





We stayed at the Andel%26#39;s Hotel, which was lovely. Nice breakfast (for a buffet) each morning and the comfiest pillows I have ever slept on.





I thought Prague was absolutely beautiful, one of the most stunning cities I have ever seen (not that I have seen too many though lol). I loved turning a corner and being surprised by the next beautiful building in front of me.





We walked almost everywhere. We did try to get a 24 hour ticket at the metro station on our first morning but found that the ticket office wasn%26#39;t open and the machines would only take coins and we didn%26#39;t have enough in change. So we decided to walk and see where it would take us and I am so glad that we did.





We saw so much on our first day. Me being the clever person that I am, walked out of the hotel that day without the map or my guide book, oops!! I think this worked out quite well though (or so I kept trying to tell my boyfriend) because we stumbled across lots of things we wouldn%26#39;t have noticed because we weren%26#39;t staring at a map and just going from one landmark to another.





We came across a church (I still don%26#39;t know what it was called) and we saw other people going in, so decided to go in and have a look too. It was beautiful and probably something we would have missed had we had a map to follow.





I thought the Christmas markets were quaint but a bit samey, but provided a welcome bit of warmth from the freezing cold, because of the amount of people there and the open fires people were cooking on.





I was shocked by the amount of dogs in Prague, of all shapes and sizes. You don%26#39;t normally see that many dogs in cities. I saw normal dogs walking in the parks, I saw dogs in coats, dogs in hats, dogs in full outfits, dogs in bags and even dogs in pet pushchairs, whats is the point of those, dogs need exercise!! I even saw a dog going in to McDonalds with its owner, is that allowed? I love dogs so this wasn%26#39;t a problem for me and yes there was dog poo around but I didn%26#39;t think it was major problem. Prague is a whole heap cleaner than London.





In my guide book I saw a picture of the Lennon Wall, so on our last day there we decided to try to find it. It took ages to find, we were in the right area but couldn%26#39;t seem to find it. Eventually we did but what a let down. It has been entirely graffitied over, the only thing that really still remains is a few Beatles song lines. I was very disappointed by this and feel it is a shame that some people feel the need to destroy other people%26#39;s work.





Sorry, I never intended this to be so long. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone on here. You may not have realised that you helped me as I never posted that much, but I found out all I need to know by searching the forum. So you helped me without realising it.





I found most people were pleasant and not overly friendly but never rude. The city was beautiful and easy to get around. Nobody tried to rip us off or short-changed us. All in all, I loved Prague and would like to return someday but maybe when it is a bit warmer.





:o)




|||



Hello TinyTrina - thanks for your lovely posting, glad you enjoyed your stay in Prague. I am just remembering our previous discussion re travel IQ - how is it going?




|||



Hi Penny





I have decided to leave the Travel IQ game alone. I have good days and bad days on it, but I have noticed that on my bad days my IQ drops (I thought it would use your best score) quite considerably lol and I am too ashamed to leave it that way so I have to play until it gets to a level I am reasonably happy with. I figured it was best to leave it alone now until I can cheat and get someone with better knowledge of geography to play it for me lol!!!





:o)




|||



Re. Dogs - whereas the English are known as dog-lovers, the Czechs take it to another level. We had some friends who kept an enormous Great Dane in their flat with two small children as well - the poor thing had to be walked for several hours a day and treated the flat as a sort of kennel :)



Have a read of %26#39;The Good Soldier Svejk%26#39; where there is a hilarious bit about Svejk and his Captain%26#39;s dog - the rest of the book is a must-read as well, especially if you want to understand the Prague mentality a bit more.



You did well to walk, as many of the best things are off the beaten track, and churches are the buildings that most people miss out on as they can look a bit drab from the outside, but they generally hide all kinds of riches.



Unfortunately the Lennon Wall has become a tourist trap, and serves no purpose any more - under the previous regime it was a place of protest and rebellion and it really meant something to those who contributed. However today with the total apathy towards politics and a lack of things to protest about (possibly a moot point), it has fallen into disrepair - guide books keep it in there as it fills up a couple of pages.



Next time you can explore a bit more of the country - there is a lot more out there!




|||



I agree with GCEK, when you come again, you must venture outside Prague, there is a lot to see.



(PS your game - keep it up!)




|||



GCEK - I am so glad you said that about the Lennon Wall. When I saw it highlighted in blue I read the reviews about it on here. I was surprised to see that people liked it and felt it was good that other people were adding their own messages. I thought maybe I was being ignorant about what constitutes art these days. I probably am, but I don%26#39;t consider obscene pictures and %26quot;I woz ere%26quot; as important social messages lol!





I would truly love to explore all of Europe further. I hope to get more opportunities when my children are older. It would certainly help with my travel IQ!





Thanks again.





:o)




|||



Hi,





How much can you expect to pay for a beer on average?




|||



Should not expect to pay more than about £1.50, i.e. 40 -45 KC




|||



But 45 should be absolute tops. If you play your cards right you could possibly average about 30, even in the centre.





Best stop there - I can see where this one might lead :))




|||



Just what I was thinking [grin]



TORII




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:13 pm, January 15, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment