Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Living in ¨Prague

Hi,







I need your help, I will soon be moving to prague for my job for one or two years ...





I will have to look soon for a place to leave ...





I currently live in Paris in a very lively neighbourhood with lots of food related shop, open air markets and restaurants ...





It may not be possible but I would like to live in rather a similar environnement ...





What area would you recommend ?





Thanks in advance for your kind Help





Kwent




|||



visit www.expats.cz or www.prague.tv




|||



where do you live in Paris?




|||



Consider me prejudiced because I live in the area, but I recommend Vinohrady. Rents are some of the most expensive, of course. Lots of restaurants, close to the center, but still residential.





Of course there are lots of restaurants and beautiful areas in Old Town and Mala Strana, but too touristy and even more expensive.





But probably nothing will compare directly to your Paris neighborhood. Prague is just not as lively.




|||



brewsta is right, all lively areas in Prague are tourist-related and have nothing to do with people who actually live here. The scariest example is the Royal Road which dotted with souvenires, jewellry shops and pricey restaurants run and operated by russian mafia. Its sad but its true.




|||



%26quot;operated by russian mafia%26quot; My gosh, I never knew that, can you please post some relevant link as I would be very interested in knowing more!




|||



It%26#39;s true, I%26#39;m afraid. Most of the stuff is in Czech, but as a long-term resident you should have no trouble reading it! e.g. …idnes.cz/ruske-mafie-si-deli-cesko-0xz-/…





Just put %26#39;ruska mafie praha%26#39; into Google and there are pages and pages of links :)




|||



well, all my allegation are not based on first hand experience, if they were, i might not be writing these lines anymore:),... but from other sources and close observation. Having some Ukrainiens friends working in Jewellery industry, i have got my suspicions...





anyway, you can do as little as check the Trade register of the particular stores and companies in the downtown. You can peep inside what sort of products they sell and see only russian (or ukrainiens) working there. Its such a ring already.





Unfortunately, it has been going on for years - there have been little or even large-scale incidents - even some shootings and gunfights (russian mobs) as long as 13 years ago so its no news. The most recently, if you know the Kocka case - alleged infiltration of russian mafia into czech politics na more.





And Karlovy Vary? - yeah, its another story.





Sorry for my lengthy and boring post





its the holiday time, all the best










|||



In Brno the %26#39;mafia%26#39; from the former Yugoslavia has quite a representation as well, and also from Iraq, but they tend to keep themselves to themselves (as with the Russian mafia) so as a tourist, or even if you live there, you don%26#39;t need to worry. It is usually obvious which shops/establishments are involved - lots of Russian trinkets, etc. which are all very nice but have no place in Prague. There is also the darker side of things as well (I don%26#39;t think I need to elaborate), but the vast majority of people stay well clear.



If you are living in Prague, or anywhere in the Czech Republic for that matter, unless you mix with such circles you won%26#39;t need to lose much sleep over it :)




|||



To get back to the subject of the original post I also recommend Vinhorady.




|||



got carried away...





another vote fot Vinohrady - but the upper part (thus Prague 2) is better. Look for an appartment in streets around Vinohradska street.





No comments:

Post a Comment