Wednesday, April 25, 2012

a little concerned about the icy personal reception???

I%26#39;ve been reading about the %26quot;lack of hospitality%26quot;, I guess you can say, towards outsiders and I%26#39;m a little concerend. I was initially going on my own but I got two friends of mine to come with me in January to Prague. The reception doesn%26#39;t seem to be very warm. One of my friends brought up that we would definately stand out cuz we%26#39;re not white and ths might really mess up out trip. Any thoughts on this?




|||



You will have no problem ,Prague is a multi cultural city and it is the Czech way to be surly!



TORII




|||



in the city centre, no problem, trust me. In outside areas, you might be subject to curious looks since some Czechs are still not used to strangers of different skin color. Nevertheless this is changing to better.





The level of czech hospitality varies, of course. Youth working in this area tend to have better mindset and attitude since they do not carry the past (%26#39;glorious%26#39;) communist baggage.








|||



thanks!




|||



I spent this past October in Prague and found the locals to be friendly. Waiters were patient and helpful with my attempts to order in Czech, several people switched to english for me, every dekuji and na shledanou was returned in kind. I amused the lady I bought a Bohemia t-shirt from by asking for a shirt for a six-hour old instead of a six-year old; confusing hour/hodin with year/let. On the other hand, the lady at the decorative arts museum gift shop wanted me to buy a book with a damaged cover rather than a shrink-wrapped copy. So, I%26#39;d say people in general are hospitable but of course you can run into the odd cranky person.



I didn%26#39;t find Prague to be particularly multicultural, however. At least not as far as visible minorities go. I saw many Vietnamese in the city but only a few black people. On Charles Bridge, I saw a small tourist group of black men who sounded like they were from the U.S. and no one was paying them much attention. On the other hand, the darker-skinned people (i%26#39;m guessing gypsy) in Florenc station were the only one%26#39;s having their i.d checked by the police.



By the way, I%26#39;m white-skinned and my features allow me to %26quot;fit in%26quot; in Prague.




|||



hi there,



i found prague people who we encountered to be quite rude, and not very helpful mostly.they look quite miserable faced, just ignore and try to enjoy yourself!!



i saw quite a few black people in prague, and nobody seemed to be paying any extra attention to them.



however, i am english , white, and my hubbie and me were getting stared at quite a bit..we must look very english, ie smiling!!!or it could be our devastating good looks, ha ha,



jacdav x




|||



Surley can be down to culture, I really don%26#39;t think you%26#39;ll find it overtly racist.





Please remeber that a lot of Americans find European (not just Czech) service quite bizarre and rude. They can%26#39;t believe you have to call a waiter in Paris or that nobody smiles and says have a nice day in Rome. In LOndon people push and shuv you on the tube etc. So, in Prague people don%26#39;t smile so much, it%26#39;s no big deal IMO





The US is a service orientated machine, just remember that things here are different (not everyone would say worse) and don%26#39;t take anything personally. In a place like Prague, some will treat you like a nuisance that pays the wages others will be more smiley/friendly, it%26#39;s pot luck who you meet IMO.





When you meet a dodgy surly character, just smile be polite and then laugh at it when they%26#39;ve gone.



I met one really tough looking and mean guy behind the jump in a local bar, a real effort to serve me but I smiled. persevered, said a few bits of Czech and he later warmed. Maybe some get abused by rude tourists, it happens a lot in Rome where locals tend to hate tourists as ignorant and arrogant - just prove them wrong and you%26#39;ll meet more good than bad.





Stoofer




|||



I have just met an American, who said he can read in a person like in a book. Right after our fist meeting he told me that I am expressionless, my voice is as flat as the pizza service and I always look on the floor! (Yes, I know, this must be the newest way to seduce a woman)





Now, I am German, Northern-German and we are much more reserved than any reserved German. I am an ex hotel manager, that does look around to be in control of the situation, the room I am at. Otherwise I look people in the eyes! So I said to the guy, if he wants to read in my book, maybe he has to learn German (let alone opening the cover first...).





So, we all have our cultural differences. Czech are not at all outgoing, that%26#39;s the simple fact. I have two black friends and they have not mentioned any racist encounters here. Enjoy your trip, you%26#39;ll have fun!




|||



We%26#39;ve actually encountered several very friendly Czechs but mainly in rural areas. We found people to be a bit standoffish in Prague but not overtly so. I%26#39;d rather have that than people who are the opposite - too obnoxious and loud! We%26#39;ve been to Europe many times and just go with the flow. Each culture is a bit different and that%26#39;s just how it is.





You are sure to have a great time!




|||



Yes I imagine those used to the US smiles and extreme artificial kindness thinks Prague waiters are surly. Me dont.



But I feel a bit awkward in US when the waiter and waterboy comes around every two minutes to check if everything is alright.




|||



I agree with Anders.





When I mentioned difference in the service culture between Europe and U.S. I wasn%26#39;t suggesting the average U.S. experience is better, it%26#39;s just different.



Some love the OTT service others don%26#39;t, and visa versa when it comes to waiting 10 mins for a surly waiter.





Each country in Europe is different you just have to chill and adjust to the local nornm. In Prague I found srevice to be very prompt and efficient, not always smiles but they do the job. Some some places in Greece or Spain, you could have a sleep while waiting to get served but then they are full of smiles :-)





Strange world - so glad we are all different otherwise no point in travelling :-)





Stoofer

No comments:

Post a Comment